Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been slowly working on a little project. It could be used with the larger filter setup as long as the box was opened in the back. This prodesign kit with k/n slides right in. If you've seen the batteries they are .8lb and more then enough cranking amps. I also eliminated the stock battery box, vent canister, and soon the fuel pump will be in an aluminum tank. basically as light or lighter then a kicker kit. Its just mocked now, still need to finish everything, but the starter solenoid is inside the box, main fuse in front of it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I like it, it will help the rad flow a little bit more air and clean up the look of the side of the bike. If the price is reasonable I would be intrested.

·
frescasipper
801 Posts
I like it! Show us the original battery location and how it's all cleaned up.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
what about charging? Is a ballistic battery sensitive to charging like a lithium ion? I personally dont know what a ballistic battery is. Must not have lead in it being that light

·
Registered
728 Posts
i prefer the 8 cell on mine its just a few ounces heavier. also cranks it without hesitation the 4 cell doesnt crank as well. but save 7 pounds right away without any other mod! dont leave key on overnight though these battery's die quick if left with key on

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even the 4 cell is more cranking amps then an oem yuasa. It works with normal charging system , but can also be used as a total loss.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
i prefer the 8 cell on mine its just a few ounces heavier. also cranks it without hesitation the 4 cell doesnt crank as well. but save 7 pounds right away without any other mod! dont leave key on overnight though these battery's die quick if left with key on
Have you owned both the 4 cell and the 8 cell?

Is the 8 cell still smaller?

And possibly still be fitted inside the airbox?

Every Honda I've owned, I've always put the battery under the seat inside an aluminum airbox.

Think I'm gonna nose around and ask who's running the aluminum airbox on the Ltr. Wonder how much room is in it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like. Been looking into this. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
how much was the that battery? i was thinking of something similar but placing the battery in front of the radiator between the frame rails.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they are right around 100, I considered that location, but went against it. I wanted to move the relay and fuse block, and everything is already pretty tight under there. I think I mentioned I'm working on an aluminum tank, my original plan was to knock the front corners off the tank, (again I'm mainly track riding the bike) use one side for that battery and one for the electronics. That may still happen, but I'm still working on the pump fitting at the moment.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i had first wanted to use that area but the muffler plus the large kn filter take up all the space. how well does that battery start up your engine and how much compression do you have? ballistic says they dont recommend the 4 cell for larger than 300cc thumpers. so im just curious.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
has anyone tried to fit the ballistic 12 cell in the stock battery box? The height is going to make it really tight

·
Registered
728 Posts
The 8 cell fits when I shaved the box inside down some and use flush head Philips for the bolts. I've been very happy with the 8 cell I tried the 4 and it was a waste really cranked slower then my stock battery even though it claims higher cca's plus the 8 cell isn't as bad in the cold as the 4 cell

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
well the 12 cell should work then cause the length and height are the same as the 8 cell just a little wider but the width is the same size as the stock battery so it should be good. I was mainly conserned about the height. Looking for maximum cca for quick xc starts. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
84 Posts
This might sound weird, but is your name Mike? I might have rode with you at speedworld last weekend with the guys from Pro-atv.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
This might sound weird, but is your name Mike? I might have rode with you at speedworld last weekend with the guys from Pro-atv.
Are you talking to me? If so that would be a negative i ride xc in central ny

·
Registered
728 Posts
The 12cell is over kill the 8 cell barely fits can't wait to hear how the 12 fits

·
Registered
84 Posts
1 - 20 of 92 Posts