Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. My ltr runs great when cold for about 5 minutes (until at operating temp) once warmed up at bogs down will barley run, backfire and die. I have done everything I can think of. I have changed the fuel pump, checked the valve lash, removed the swirl filter and added a inline fuel filter, cleaned the injector, changed the spark plug, changed coolant, removed thermostat, checked the tp sensor, checked stator (charging at 14.5 volts) while running. Once it dies it is hard to turn over acts like a dead battery. I let it sit for 5 to minutes and fires right up with no problem and goes great for another 5 minutes. Any help would be great.

2006 ltr 450
stock motor, k&n filter, packing removed from exhaust, cherry bomb, and air box lid removed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you check the cam caps. I checked the gap between the cam and the cap and put the gap to max gap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No i didn't replace a cap. Just adjusted the exhaust side by .005. It being hard to turn over when hot lead me to the valves but dont know where to go now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What are the cam caps, are they the caps that are on top of the valves with the shim under it or the cap that holds the cams in place. I didn't use the best quality torque wrench. Used a harbor freight one.

·
Super Moderator
31,830 Posts
It's a good possibility that they were overtightened and now scored. I suggest you tear it back apart before running it anymore. and look very closely at the cam journals for damage. the aluminum things with IN and EX cast into them are the cam caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Opened it back up last night and everything looked good, I suppose the caps could be worn but everything looks good visually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the spark plug again while I had it apart and looks like the bike is running lean, I have been through the entire fuel system and had the fuel pressure checked. Everything was good, I think its down to efi controller/ecu or injector. The injector has a nice spray and I dont think the bike would run great for 5 minutes if the injector was the issue but not positive. Maybe the lean issue is causing excessive heat.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
Have you checked the voltage at the injector?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I haven't checked the voltage at the injector. I finally gave up and it is at the shop now. I will post what the problem ended up being. Right now the shop thinks it an electrical issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts