Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on this bike, I have tore it down and put it back together 2 times now, 13:4.1 ( might not be exact) piston, changed lower cylinder and head gasket 2 times, checked all oil pumps, changed both left, return, pumps, have oil returning to the reservoir tank, no oil out of the top right side oil pressure check screws,
It'll pump oil into the cylinder and out the pipe so fast that with 1 minute of run time it'll be between 100ml-200ml low on oil.
I've been super clean about my gasket surfaces, I've blown out all the oil passages, torqued and double checked all not specs, check good all piston ring gaps, ring position is for sure correct.

I've never been this stumped on something.

Am I missing something?

I've had off both case covers and cleaned blew out oil passages, is there a specific place that a blockage might be that will cause this much oil to be pulled in by the position? Or maybe there is a reason for the oil pump to push the oil by the gasket?

I've been researching this problem on here for over a week, I think I need so help, Ive rebuilt engine many machines and never been so baffled, this is the first ltr450 I have gotten to work on and this is killing me,
I do not know the reason why this machine needed a rebuild but I got it have put together and I think I'm out of trouble shooting ideas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So an update I tore it back down again and the case/cylinder gasket did not have any holes punched so the oil can travel past.
But I'm still not satisfied that that was the complete problem,,,, if oil can not pass by the first cylinder gasket, how is the piston/cylinder able to pull so much oil thru the head gasket, or maybe it's not???

So my problem is that......
it smokes horribly.
Seems to pull more oil from reservoir tank than it can return to it..
Top of piston is full of oil, as much as the valve indentation can hold...
Super careful about getting the rings on without moving them, but the top ring seem to have rotated approximately 60°-80° toward the front of the bike.
I checked the head surface for level, it's as flat as my gauge is.
Checked the top of the cylinder for the same, it was good.
The oil levels where measured out perfectly,
The bike ran for 60seconds.
Didn't start to smoke till 5-10 seconds into the 60
Checked oil, no show on dip.
Added 100ml
Check oil, just touching dip.
Add 200ml, check it's great.
Start bike, runs descent but, she's a smoke show, run it 60seconds, check oil, she's a no show again..

Oil dripping off my rear grab bar.
All my tolerances where all in the green, all bolt torque was proper and double checked.
I'm souper clean super picky, ( this bike is clearly more picky)
I got return oil both pumps are new and all 3 are in seem be great working order. I even tested them by hand with some Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer, also my engine prep oil, is that bad??
I gave her enough throttle imo that it should have set the rings enough to calm the smoke.

Never had any ever act like this please help!!

All ports from the oil filter to the cylinder are clear and so is the same for the ports to the cams.

If the oil don't pass the case to cylinder gasket,. How the hell she pulling so much oil on to the top of the piston..

I even endoscoped the intake/exhaust ports to see maybe it was pulling it thru the valves, but I didn't see any issues...

Someone please tell me what I am missing....
I will put holes in the gasket tomorrow and attempt this again.
I have video of past 2 runs and tons of pictures just tell me what you need to see

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
Why did you create a new thread after the headbolt flex thread. I told you to either check oil pumps or you have way to much blow by. Have you compression tested? Post pictures to help others out see what your problems are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did you create a new thread after the headbolt flex thread. I told you to either check oil pumps or you have way to much blow by. Have you compression tested? Post pictures to help others out see what your problems are.
Well I think these posts have dates and if you check them you will see that this was my first post and the head bolt post was my second...
I have not figured it out yet cause I set it to the side till the new gaskets come in, then I'll tare it down and figure out what the issue is. The bike has good compression btw bike runs awesome but something still isn't right, I will update during the tare down.
I have tons of pictures, I asked if any can maybe give me an idea of what my photos should contain/be of, so I'll post pictures just tell me what they need to be of.......
Thanks for the bump👊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts