Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

06 Ltr 450 starting problem

39K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Atom187 
#1 ·
Just got this atv 1 month ago the guy said everything was fine with it no problems i used it just to make sure everything was going good. I bought it and brought it home next day turned it on with no problem but i noticed it struggled turning on for some reason it seems like battery is not powerful enought to turn over the starter. But later turn on after trying 5 times left it on for a while. 2 days later tried turning it on nothing hooked it up to a charger for a min tryed turn in it on and turned right up. Well i thought to myslef its problably the battery not holding charge went ahead and bought a new one. But problem wasnt solved. I thought it might be the starter bought a new one put it on battery didnt have enough power to turn it over again went ahead and put the old one in and connected it to the charged turned right up again. Has someone had the same problem help plz. Battery voltage drops to 12.23 volts and doesnt want to start it struggles hook it up to charger and fires right up. How many volts does it need to have to fire up. Help plz

06 ltr 450 upgrades
496cc big bore kit
Port and polishe head
Shift pin relocated
Curtis sparks exhaust
Power commander 5 with auto tuner

See less See more
#2 ·
The starter should spin fine at 12.23 volts loaded. Do a voltage drop on both the positive and negative side and make sure you aren't losing more than .5 volts on either side. Possible you have a malfunctioning decompression lever.

#4 ·
these things are very picky with voltages. There is a battery sensor on the quad. make sure that is not dying out on you. Check all grounds and physically inspect all charging system wires for broken insulation and shorting out.

#5 ·
Right now i disconnect the ignition switch and charged the battery just to make sure it wasnt the ignition switch getting any power someone metioned this so im trying it right ill let u guys know wat happens.
It does spin 12.23 but its not enough power to turn on i have to connected to the charger in order to turn it on. How do i check the voltage drop i new sorry for the stupid question if u can explain a little bit more. Thanks

#9 ·
its probably not the battery sensor. What it does is adjust the fuel delivery based on the battery voltage. Just another pointless fuel curve compensation sensor for the LTR.

measure the voltage of the battery with ignition off. Then measure it while you turn the ignition on. THen, measure it while it is turning over.

#11 ·
Ok i do that tomarrow its raining where im at its da bike is outside with a cover on.. but i was checking the voltage on the battery today in the morning and it reads 13.4 volts fully charged with out the ignition switch its been sitting there for a day and no voltage drop yet.. ill check every connection tomarrow and ill let u guys know wat happens thanks alot for your help guys i appreciate it..

#13 ·
Ok i do that tomarrow its raining where im at its da bike is outside with a cover on.. but i was checking the voltage on the battery today in the morning and it reads 13.4 volts fully charged with out the ignition switch its been sitting there for a day and no voltage drop yet.. ill check every connection tomarrow and ill let u guys know wat happens thanks alot for your help guys i appreciate it..

#14 ·
Updates on starting problem

Ok so this are the readings i got with key off full charged battery its at 12.88
With ignition on its drops every 10 sec reading 12.79
With engine button on Run it Mesures 12.70
While cranking it measures it kinda didnt want to crank voltage dropped to 6.78 then cranked and voltage reads 13.24 while on keeps going up
Plz help guys..

#20 ·
I just got a new battery so i think its not the battery or can it be possible that its bad from da start.. how do i check the amps the starter pulls.. i have a new starter but the problem was that it didnt wanna spin or turn on..

Yes, New batteries can be bad. It's not likely but possible. Any good repair shop should be able to load test it. With a full charge the battery should be able to handle a 45 amp load for 15 seconds without dropping below 9.6 volts.

If the battery is ok. Then the problem is the draw being too many amps. Probably either a bad starter or a bad decompression mechanism.

#17 ·
There was simular post going on here recently and in that, I wrote, "mine did the same thing and it turned out to be the starter". Funny thing is that I purchased a brand new one from a starter company in Georgia and the first one came with the "power post" on the top of the starter was loose and the starter wouldn't work...could this be your problem?

Just to note: they did replace it free of charge. They sent me a replacement before I actually returned the defective one. Good company and 1/2 the price of a factory one.

#18 ·
Update on starter

Ok so i bought a new starter and it seemed that da battery wasnt supporting at full charge old one turned on the quad but with some problems but it turned over new one it seemed that the battery was strong enough when i took off the new one to put im the old one back in i noticed like if there wpower post was out a little bit idk if that does afftect the starter its self and also notice sometjing shakie inside the starters idk if its normal on old it was louder and on the new one u can hear it barely

#19 ·
I can't figure out if your telling me it starts or not? A rattling/shaking noise from the starter is usually not a good thing. The power post should be tight as this supplies power to the armature and if it's loose you will have a loss of input power (from the battery) which could also cause arcing within the starter. (This is also not a good thing)

#32 ·
The starters have a plastic retainer for the brushes all your guys's problems that you're trying to chase electrically it's most likely your starter clutch slipping I had this problem chased it for months ended up being the starter clutch I burn out three starters one after another and it was the exact same thing didn't sound like the battery had enough power to crank the motor I was going to change the decompression arm on the camshaft and all this other stuff I replaced the hundred dollar starter clutch and my quad is like the day it was built you touch the starter button and it fires right up instantly you would be amazed what the problem is when you're chasing everything else but what the problem is so everybody having this problem it's most likely your starter clutch slipping

#29 ·
its not how many volts it is also about AMPS load test your battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.