Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up ladys and gents. I bought my 06 ltr last year for a deal. Knowing full good and well it wouldn't start and if it did it would only run for a couple seconds. Take it in to a local shop to me after I pulled the valve cover to find a stuck exhaust valve and well thats when the snowball started. Ended up getting a new cylinder head new top end, new crank, new case halfs. I got it from my friend who was very open and honest with me on it.

He didn't know what was going on with it other then it would start and run for a short time.

Anyways its now a 516 ish and ive been having some rather annoying issues with it. First time I take it out after it got built and it would sputter and cough and run like garbage. Cycle the key off and back on and it was fine for a short period of time. It would also get very hot like it was running lean. So I swapped the fuel pressure regulator out with oem and new. Second time I take it out and it runs better with no boggy popping issues but feels under powered for having around 70hp. Third time I take it out it starts up runs ok then just shuts down like I turned the key off and wouldn't even try to start again. No click no nothing but the lights would dim if you hit the start button.

I'm almost to the point of just selling it off and going back honda again. But after dumping way too much money in the engine and tuning id rather try and fix it.

Also randomly when it would start before hand it would not rev at all it would just shut off. Cycle the key off and on again and it would run fine again.

I havent even done anything or checked anything on it since it shut down on me twice. Other then to check and see if it was locked up. Which it isn't thankfully. So I'm leaning toward an electrical issue, which no surprise there. Just not sure where to start. I was thinking about just ditching the stock ecm for a vortex unit or ditching all the suzuki wiring in favor of a fuel tech efi unit. But id like to try and fix what I do have before I go that expensive route.

Anyone have any ideas or pointers as to what to start with. What are the ohm readings for the stator supposed to be. How can I verify the regulator is working. Etc, I know fuel pressure needs to be at 42 psi. Which is why I swapped the first regulator out for a new oem unit.

Anyways any help would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Check your battery voltage first. Then lets see if there is an issue with the charging system.
Also check your injector

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I'm going to be recharging the battery again. Its getting a little low.

Battery voltage goes from 12.5 down to 10 while starting. So I'm wondering if the starter is on the way out as well.

I did find a manual and go through and verify everything was within spec while cold anyways. I need to grab another oil filter so I can run it again.

I did find a dirty screen on the fuel pump pickup. I was going to dig into the injector to try and clean it. Ive heard there's a removable screen?

As far as the running issue goes though I'm still stumped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'm going to be recharging the battery again. Its getting a little low.

Battery voltage goes from 12.5 down to 10 while starting. So I'm wondering if the starter is on the way out as well.

I did find a manual and go through and verify everything was within spec while cold anyways. I need to grab another oil filter so I can run it again.

I did find a dirty screen on the fuel pump pickup. I was going to dig into the injector to try and clean it. Ive heard there's a removable screen?

As far as the running issue goes though I'm still stumped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I found a bad solder joint in the starter that was causing hard starts and voltage drops during starting and not starting sometimes. Also found the regulator not charging to spec even though it tested good with my meter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts