Paddle tires and gearing - Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com
Wheels/Tires A perfect tire/wheel combination is a necessity, discuss tires and wheels here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View tfs411's Photo Gallery(0)
I ran 20 inch sandstars at the dunes a few weeks ago and I wasn't pulling in fifth, even with the 13 tooth front sprocket. I'm running no lid, no sparky and the cherry bomb. I was hauling ass in the drags through fourth and could pull a little bit on the hardpack in fifth, but in the soft stuff fifth was useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View SandJunkie's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
I ran 20 inch sandstars at the dunes a few weeks ago and I wasn't pulling in fifth, even with the 13 tooth front sprocket. I'm running no lid, no sparky and the cherry bomb. I was hauling ass in the drags through fourth and could pull a little bit on the hardpack in fifth, but in the soft stuff fifth was useless.
[/b]
Sandstars you say?...

I know THAT feeling
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get rid of those...and stay away from molded tires on all future purchases...you will be mucho happier :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune_Diva
Get ahold of me next time you need one....seriously.
Quote:
I can hardly swallow my throat hurts so bad. :P
Quote:
I am playing and getting paid by the hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune_Diva View Post
mmmmm I'm good at what I do.
Quote:
I'm always happy to take it, you can give it to me.
Quote:
Tell me your talents and I'll tell you if I can use you.
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 AM

View fatv's Photo Gallery(0)
Whats the easies way to slow your bike down ...... add a set of sand stars.

FUELATV
post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 AM

View onesavage's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via Yahoo to onesavage
Send a message via Yahoo to onesavage
ok does any one make a custom sand tire that has a v shape like the sand skate II's?

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they
bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
ok does any one make a custom sand tire that has a v shape like the sand skate II's?
[/b]
Well IMO you really dont need a V-cup paddle. The 6 cup hualer will slide just as good, and be faster. The best v-cup paddle will be a SSI comp cut. I have not ridden these, but EVERYONE who has loves them. They are ALOT of money though.

FUELATV
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:14 PM

View OKTRX450R's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Well IMO you really dont need a V-cup paddle. The 6 cup hualer will slide just as good, and be faster. The best v-cup paddle will be a SSI comp cut. I have not ridden these, but EVERYONE who has loves them. They are ALOT of money though.
FUELATV
[/b]
I disagree...honestly until you ride the SSI's I would be very cautious comparing them to any other tires (I know you stated you had not ridden them)...the SSI's are by far the best handling tire I have ever ridden and they are much quicker then you would think...you are correct, they are ALOT of money.

I have not performed this myself but I have it from a very good source on equal bikes/riders the SSI's are 1/2 bike slower then the infamous 6 paddle Brats! That is very, very fast for a V blade paddle. I wonder how the ST Edges would compare???

Dang Steve, I am just going to have to send you all the tires I own for testing!
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Rob .... do you think the SSI slide and handle better then the 6 cup haulers? I have no doubt about the actual speed. I was speaking in regaurds to the turning not the speed. Of course rim size, width and tire pressure come into play. I know the SSI is a larger tire. Therefor it gets more floatation. For me if a tire slides anymore then the 6 cup hauler the bike will be way too loose. But again that is just my opinion. I think we can sum this up ......

SSI comp cut
6 and 9 cup Paddla brat comp cut
6 cup hauler
9 cup glidder

are the best paddles out there. What ones are the fasted, best and most turnable? the first one will be awnsered and the last two will be up to the rider.

FUELATV
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 04:02 PM

View OKTRX450R's Photo Gallery(0)
Yes, I really do think they handle better (I am comparing them to 7 paddle haulers and 6 paddle Extremes)...they are very strange tires. When I run the 6 paddle Extremes I can not keep the front end on the ground...with the SSI's, I actually have to work a little to get the front end in the air but while dragging I am beating guys on better built machines with haulers???

Turning and duning characteristics they are just the lazy man's tire...they do everything for you but are very up to par when duning aggressively too. I swear they are the strangest tire I have ever seen.

All this is great stuff, but in all actuallity we are all giving our opinions and none of us are right and none of us are wrong...just how we interpret the data. You might ride the SSIs and hate them...

I will send them out to you in the late Fall and let you run them...

Fuel, excellent summation of the tires and the rider...

Sorry to hijack the thread into a sand tire thread....
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 PM

View onesavage's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via Yahoo to onesavage
Send a message via Yahoo to onesavage
yeah i guess i am at fault also for getting this thread hijacked and turned into a sand tire thread. maybe those killer moderaters and whoever else edit the site will clean it all up and move our sand tire questions, comments, and opinions to the write spot. I thank the both of you for taking the time and sharing your knowledge and experience's with me. well for now i will run what i have until further review and money permits different. thanks again you guys are great.

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they
bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:56 PM

View Kwad Gawd's Photo Gallery(0)
I live in Ohio, I work for an ATV racing magazine & I've never even seen a sand tire in person.
What's wrong with the ITP Sand Stars? Heavy? I know the owner... I'll have to tell him people think they're heavy so maybe he can lighten them in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Wheels/Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in