Just bought 05 with big bore kit, problems already... - Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com
General Discussion Talk about anything on your mind here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View kalvina's Photo Gallery(0)
Just bought 05 with big bore kit, problems already...

Hello all,

Here is the story, I just bought a 06 ltr450 with a big bore kit, open air box, gutted exhaust and yoshi cherry bomb. Just out of the shop. I have taken this quad out about 4 times now. The symtoms are as follows, when I first start it it runs great for about 20 mins or so. Full power and fun, but after that it looses 90% of power and I can barely make it back.

First trip, having fun riding around, after about 30 mins or so, i hit the throttle and it get barely any power. It almost feels like when an engine goes into limp mode. I turn off and restart, still same. Also its hard to restart. I notice there is a inline fuel filter going to the pump, i hit it couple of times and the engine gets little more power. So I am thinking bad filter.

second trip, so I change out the inline fuel filter to a different one and go out. Same results as the first trip, ok for about 20 mins then same problem.

Third trip, I do a lot of reading and decided that maybe the fuel pump is on its way out and change it out. After I changed it, it felt like I gained 5 more hp! I was confident that fixed it

Fourth trip, SAME FREAKING THING. Runs great for about 20mins and starts to bogg again.... I decided to take off the cherry bomb, Nope the problem is still there. I don't know what to do anymore. I really don't want to take it to the dealer. Alot of the post that I read was bogging from the beginning, mine is doing it after it rides great for about 20 to 30 mins. Please help!!!
Also, anyone recommend a good shop in Southern CA? Zip code 91748?

Thank you for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

View CQR's Photo Gallery(1)
Dpeending on how big your big bore is, you may need a programmer and tune. but as far as your current problem, you need to start by testing your fuel pressure. I Would test it cold and then test it when its hot and acting up.

Four (4) '06 LTR450's, '16 Beta 300RR, '09 CRF150RB, '11 Grizzly 550, 16 Beta X trainer, Laeger Trx500

canyontackfeed.com
www.morrisoncarworks.com
www.sodalakestable.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

View shadey's Photo Gallery(0)
If you bought one of those cheap fuel off ebay that may lead to the same problem as well.

https://www.ltr450hq.com/forums/engin...0-dollars.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle View Post
We started hitting the teens but no white stuff yet.
2006 LTR 535-R, Go Big or Go Home.

Her name is Bruce

https://www.ltr450hq.com/forums/gener...ce-manual.html
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21147&o=OneUp

LTR450 manual ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

[quote=shadey;777898]If you bought one of those cheap fuel off ebay that may lead to the same problem as well.

I bought the honda fuel pump per forum discussion from amazon. As soon as I put it in and took her for a spin, it felt at least 5 hp stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQR View Post
Dpeending on how big your big bore is, you may need a programmer and tune. but as far as your current problem, you need to start by testing your fuel pressure. I Would test it cold and then test it when its hot and acting up.
Well, I was thinking , if I needed a programmer and a tune, wouldn't the problem start from the beginning? I mean the quad rips for about 20 mins, then thats when it starts to go into some type of limp mode or no power.

Thats where I was leaning to next. I guess I will have to bring a fuel gauge with me next time I ride and see. I am also just going to get new plugs put in and see as well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

So I followed the manual 5-5 and did the fuel pressure test at my house. Here are the results

As soon as switched on, I can hear the New pump prime and it goes to 50PSI and starts to lose pressure. It does it gradually, it takes good 10 to 15 secs before getting down past 30. It doesn't hold the pressure at all. It starts to loose pressure, keeps going down past 30psi. Tried it 3 times with same results.

I actually started the engine, starts fine, it stays at 50 psi the whole time its running, idle or being reved same. 50PSI.

This is done in cold start condition when the quad runs great. I have to take the quad out to run it, can't do it in my neighborhood, so I can't test when bogging yet.

Is it possible that the FPR works somewhat ok when its been sitting for a while, then as fuel is being pushed through( like running for 20 mins or so) cause the FPR to loose more pressure in the diaphram or spring and makes my quad run bad?

Is this normal?

Thank you!

Last edited by kalvina; 04-29-2018 at 05:36 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

It should hold pressure. also, 50 psi is too much. seems your FPR is bad.

Four (4) '06 LTR450's, '16 Beta 300RR, '09 CRF150RB, '11 Grizzly 550, 16 Beta X trainer, Laeger Trx500

canyontackfeed.com
www.morrisoncarworks.com
www.sodalakestable.com
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It should hold pressure. also, 50 psi is too much. seems your FPR is bad.
Thank you for that. Should I attempt to clean it or just buy a new one? New one is running around $170
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

I've heard of a lot of unsuccessful attempts to clean FPR's.

canyontackfeed.com
www.morrisoncarworks.com
www.sodalakestable.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok. But would the bad fpr can cause my symtoms? It only runs bad after riding for a bit.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvina View Post
Quote:
Ok. But would the bad fpr can cause my symtoms? It only runs bad after riding for a bit.
If it's bypassing too much fuel and allowing the pressure to drop below spec, it's possible. You should probably verify the psi when it's acting up to see.

canyontackfeed.com
www.morrisoncarworks.com
www.sodalakestable.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Headquarters > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in