Gear Ratio Calculator - Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com
Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View shadey's Photo Gallery(0)
OK now heres how it brakes down

The higher the gear ratio the quicker the bike will accelerate

The lower the gear ratio the slower the bike will accelerate, at the same time the higher the gear ratio the less MPH it will run

The lower the gear ratio the the higher MPH it will run considering the HP that you may have available.

Now with that said,

It gets confusing when people talk about top end and low end. You can have someone say that dropping a tooth will give you low end but will take away top end and what they actually mean is it will be quicker in acculturation but slower in MPH.

So it's like mixing apples and oranges in one statement, what actually happens is when you drop a tooth you will gain low, mid and top end power but you will decrees the top speed. The opposite goes if you add a tooth to the front sprocket you will lose low, mid and top end power but you will gain top speed.

So the trick is to find a gearing low enough to meet your top speed demands and high enough to take full advantage of all your power. There are only a few exceptions that should be considered on gearing to low and they are shifting to frequently, throttle control and traction.

Hers a link and a post I made last year that may help

Under rated ckicky
^^^ it's worth saving

Just some gear ratio info

I'm ruining a 12 tooth front 36 tooth rear and 20" tire and I just checked my top speed with my GPS at 77.2 MPH.
I thought this was quite fast for this setup so i did some checking and hear are some numbers that I came up with.

Primary drive 2.851

1st gear 2.076
2nd gear 1.647
3rd gear 1.333
4th gear 1.095
5th gear .913

To determine the ratio at the out put shaft you multiply the primary and the gear ratios

output shaft ratios

1st gear 5.901
2nd gear 4.695
3rd gear 3.800
4th gear 3.121
5th gear 2.602

Here are a couple of final drive ratios to play with

front/rear
14/36 = 2.57
13/36 = 2.76
12/36 = 3.00

The next ratios shows the amount of separation between each gear, the higher the number the closer they are.

1st to 2nd 1.206
2nd to 3rd .895
3rd to 4th .679
4th to 5th .519

Here is a link that will allow you to input 4 gear ratios, final ratio and tire size and it will give you MPH per RPM in each gear.

another tire/gear calculator
Keep in mind that the lower the final drive ratio number is the farther the separation is between gears and the less torque is put to the wheels.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By lowering the tooth count on the counter shaft and keeping the same toot count on the axle would reduce the stress on the counter shaft because it is gaining leverage on the axle shaft and lowering the ratio. but still the physics show that increasing the axle tooth count or axle and counter shaft tooth count to achieve the desired ratio would be a better option.

even tho there are there are good arguments for smaller sprockets (shorter chain less mass, less rotating mass and more ground clearance) the cons are ( tighter chain wrap, chain guide drag and wear, less sprocket contact with chain and from what I understand a minimal added stress to the counter and axle shaft stress)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle View Post
We started hitting the teens but no white stuff yet.
2006 LTR 535-R, Go Big or Go Home.

Her name is Bruce

https://www.ltr450hq.com/forums/gener...ce-manual.html
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21147&o=OneUp

LTR450 manual ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Last edited by shadey; 08-17-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

View AL Elks's Photo Gallery(0)
NICE!

..1st Recipient of the Honored LTR450HQ "Cowbell Award"
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:11 PM

View BadinBlack's Photo Gallery(0)
cool!

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 PM

View Alba450's Photo Gallery(0)
Pretty neat!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 PM

View trippleh's Photo Gallery(0)
Sweet right up Shade...12/39 it is for me
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Rich S's Photo Gallery(0)
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich S @ Aug 6 2008, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:

This is the only thing that gets me about the 13/39..... you basicly lose 1st and 5th by doing it.... 1st becomes so low its only good for hauling around a fat girl in the mud. Then 5th is so low, you only top out at ~70mph in the sand. Then its also the most costly of the 3 setups below because you need to buy a rear sprocket. Yeah its fast but I always want more.....

13/39 normally means racing 2nd - 4th(~60mph) on the hill or 5th(~72mph) on the flats.

14/36 normall means racing 1st - 3rd(~57.5) on the hill or 4th(~70mph) on the flats.

15/36 normally means racing 1st - 3rd(~61.6mph) on the hill or 4th(~75mph) on the flats but with an edge of MPH over the other two. Plus its easier to launch. This will also require to to remove your case saver and front sprocket cover.

The LTR can pull these gears with just a pipe filter and programmer. so if you have more motor, you can also look at running more tire and or even a taller gear.
Badassmachinist likes this.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Premium Member

View shadey's Photo Gallery(0)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich S @ Aug 6 2008, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:

^^ that&#39;s where I found the under rated linky,, check in the tools and you will find more goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle View Post
We started hitting the teens but no white stuff yet.
2006 LTR 535-R, Go Big or Go Home.

Her name is Bruce

https://www.ltr450hq.com/forums/gener...ce-manual.html
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21147&o=OneUp

LTR450 manual ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM

View trippleh's Photo Gallery(0)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich S @ Aug 6 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
This is the only thing that gets me about the 13/39..... you basicly lose 1st and 5th by doing it.... 1st becomes so low its only good for hauling around a fat girl in the mud. Then 5th is so low, you only top out at ~70mph in the sand. Then its also the most costly of the 3 setups below because you need to buy a rear sprocket. Yeah its fast but I always want more.....

13/39 normally means racing 2nd - 4th(~60mph) on the hill or 5th(~72mph) on the flats.

14/36 normall means racing 1st - 3rd(~57.5) on the hill or 4th(~70mph) on the flats.

15/36 normally means racing 1st - 3rd(~61.6mph) on the hill or 4th(~75mph) on the flats but with an edge of MPH over the other two. Plus its easier to launch. This will also require to to remove your case saver and front sprocket cover.

The LTR can pull these gears with just a pipe filter and programmer. so if you have more motor, you can also look at running more tire and or even a taller gear.[/b]
Agreed, reason i run the 12/39 is because the sandstars and I don&#39;t care about mph on flat i typicaly run 3rd-5th on the hill with the basic 3 bolt on upgrades...works ok.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trippleh @ Aug 6 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Agreed, reason i run the 12/39 is because the sandstars and I don&#39;t care about mph on flat i typicaly run 3rd-5th on the hill with the basic 3 bolt on upgrades...works ok.[/b]

do you not like to chase the buggys though the big bowls and stuff? I pull stock 5th gear trying to keep up with them in the big dunes on a 21" tire I&#39;m telling you, therer is nothing cooler than finding someone with a fast buggy and then having a train of fast riders all trying to catch the buggy like its some fake bunny in a dog race ha ha ha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in