Clutch cable adjustment - Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com
Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View blueranger660's Photo Gallery(0)
Clutch cable adjustment

In the 3 years I've owned my 06 the clutch has Always been quirky. The cable pull has always been 10x harder than my other bikes and the cable adjusted out almost all the way is about 1" to long. When you think you have it adjusted and remove the cover and pull the pressure plate and clutches then reassemble them the cable can then be over 1" out of adjustment the opposite way? When you think its set You never actually feel a positive engagement of the clutch it's always a sluggish engagement if that makes sense. I guess this is going to be a winter diagnostic project but looking for any advise. Thanks

2006 14.5:1 493, C&S Racing custom cams, C&S Racing Porting, Racers Edge AZ Flywheel and FCR Carburetor, Williams Performance valve job, Xceldyne +1 valves, PSI springs, Walsh Racing Custom Piston and Crank Service, Carrillo Rod, MSD ignition, KMS intake KMS shift pin, Sparks exhaust, Fox Podium. Machining and Milling by Pro-Machine Bowling Green KY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View shiftx450's Photo Gallery(0)
Subbin. I actually had to move my arm on the spline a tooth once. Thought it was extremely weird.

No matter what I do though still I can never get it to where I feel it's 'perfectly adjusted'
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

View 05limited's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via AIM to 05limited
Send a message via AIM to 05limited
Ranger,

What cable are you running and also what lever?

Doug Bird #287
GNCC 24+C
06 LTR450 - FOX/Houser/Williams -MX
09 LTR450 - FOX/Houser/ATP - XC

Thank you everyone for 2012 - GT THUNDER, BNR Motorsports, Motoworks, DWT Wheel, Fast Traxx Crew, X County Photos, Houser Racing, Rekluse, Fasst Co, Maxxis, MMX Graphics, Mr. Hole-shots and Casto Motorcycle sales.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 AM

View ballz338's Photo Gallery(0)
Stock cable on mine is a bout an 1" too long with ASV lever. ASV will give you some spacers that I thought looked like shit. I bought a LTZ cable and it fits pretty nice.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz338 View Post
Stock cable on mine is a bout an 1" too long with ASV lever. ASV will give you some spacers that I thought looked like shit. I bought a LTZ cable and it fits pretty nice.
Exactly. When you move the arm you also change the leverage ratio on the clutch itself. Also every lever had a different ratio. I always found I liked the works connection levers the best. Lightest pull but best feel. Lever ratio is a guessing balancing act between the pull being light and having enough travel for it to feel good. Most levers with a light pull have a really long engagement ramp thus you'll have a hard time getting that good solid snap feel that a harder pull lever will give you.

I really want to try the pro taper setup but I fear change lol

Doug Bird #287
GNCC 24+C

Thank you everyone for 2012 - GT THUNDER, BNR Motorsports, Motoworks, DWT Wheel, Fast Traxx Crew, X County Photos, Houser Racing, Rekluse, Fasst Co, Maxxis, MMX Graphics, Mr. Hole-shots and Casto Motorcycle sales.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View ltr450king69's Photo Gallery(1)
Mines stupidly heavy to and cable adjustment is s pain. Ive just managed to bleed my streamline hydro up and omg I'm never going back. Not super soft but very smooth and biting point is half way.

fox shocks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure what lever set up I have but I think it's an MSR quick adjust lever assembly. I've had two cables on this bike and both seem to be 1" to long. I'm sure they're aftermarket cables, most likely Motion pro. Is the LTZ a shorter cable? I have almost a +2 stem so I need enough length to reach the back of the motor but I don't need all that extra cable that's sticking out. I've actually contemplated tying a knot in the cable just before it hooks up to the clutch cam.

2006 14.5:1 493, C&S Racing custom cams, C&S Racing Porting, Racers Edge AZ Flywheel and FCR Carburetor, Williams Performance valve job, Xceldyne +1 valves, PSI springs, Walsh Racing Custom Piston and Crank Service, Carrillo Rod, MSD ignition, KMS intake KMS shift pin, Sparks exhaust, Fox Podium. Machining and Milling by Pro-Machine Bowling Green KY.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueranger660 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure what lever set up I have but I think it's an MSR quick adjust lever assembly. I've had two cables on this bike and both seem to be 1" to long. I'm sure they're aftermarket cables, most likely Motion pro. Is the LTZ a shorter cable? I have almost a +2 stem so I need enough length to reach the back of the motor but I don't need all that extra cable that's sticking out. I've actually contemplated tying a knot in the cable just before it hooks up to the clutch cam.
Go buy an LTZ cable and try it. Also buy an OEM cable as they are factory lubed.

Motion pro cables aren't lubed from the factory if you think you need a longer cable. I run flexx bars and a +1 houser stem on my quads with an oem clutch cable and motion pro throttle cable.

Buy a good cable luber and cable lube. I use wd40 to clean all the junk out of the cable then lube it up with actual cable lube.

Also try a different lever. The factory Crf lever has a great ratio and pull.

Doug Bird #287
GNCC 24+C

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM

View shiftx450's Photo Gallery(0)
I'd advise against tying the knot in the cable, will create a weak point for fraying and breakage.

Does motion pro still make the terminator cables?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,
I really wasn't going to tie a knot in the cable but I did think about it since there was so much pissin cable left over after I adjusted both locations all the way out. I'll try an LTZ cable and look for a CRF450 clutch lever on ebay.

I run the +2 motion pro throttle cable for a TRX450R and it's almost to short with my +2 stem but it's working - - Long live the Carb!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in