Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com banner

Buying a quadzilla for the drags. Is it worth it?

25K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  shadey 
#1 ·
Ok since I have started my LTR build I have realized that I am not going to build a full race engine. I simply went the reliable route with a little more power. No biggie, I am sure I will be satisfied with the outcome because lets face it... LTRs are the track ready bike out of the box. Not the king of the drags.

That being said, I just came across a zilla while surfing craigslist the other day. It needs rings but it that doesn't take much to fix. It has a bunch of good aftermarket parts and looks pretty clean from the pictures. What I want to know is if I buy this bike will it be an awsome drag bike? Can I make it the king of the drags? It is posted at $2300 and still runs. I think that I can offer $1800 and get her in the garage.

I have heard alot of cool suff about the LTZ500 but I would like some more knowledge.

Thanks
Lane:beerchug:

#2 ·
I know if you have the $$$ you can get 100hp out of it,

#5 ·
Yes....but you can only send it to 2 or 3 guys to have it done right and last I knew Dr. Q. hasn't been around for a long time......I think a guy on here (Kennerz) has the HRD540 setup (Hot Rod Duner) that Dr. Q. did a lot of and was pretty reliable for being a built quadzilla...... My bro has a 525 Zilla with a cheap pipe, kehien(sp?) Pwk39, and squish mod.....my stock ltr with a pipe n cherry bomb didn't have a prayer in a drag... start to finish. I know with the right builder they haul. When you get the carb circuitry redone, a good pipe, and the squish mod....they are pretty fast and reliable.

#6 ·
Jerry Hall (motor Geek) is def. a top builder and fully understands the LT500. I would say Jerry and Dr. Q are the two best zilla builders in the world. Both know how to make a zilla fast & live.

Those of us who own a LT500 with the latest engine technology will tell you they are awesome bikes if they are set up right. I wouldn't trade my zilla for any other machine made right now. They are one of the best duners as well. You just have to take some extra care in the selection of parts, & keep up on the maint. The key is to get one of the better pipes (Hall,DrQ,Shearer,Aaen) to make power.

#7 ·
^+1

better be ready to spent 1k + on a good pipe.

#11 ·
Paul turner head, Bored 97 over, FMF fatty pipe and the rest is unknown. The compression feels good. I kicked on it and it feels like all of the parts inside are working good. The frame is real tight. New bushings on A-arms, new shocks and no play in swing arm. What is it worth paying for because now this kid is saying $2900??? He doesn't know what he has for sure. The story is that he traded his fox body mustang for it 2 months ago and he doesn't have the money to fix it. This problem just started happening a week ago.

Thanks
Lane

#15 ·
Thats what I was hoping the case was. I appreciate it. Do you think I could replace the rings myself after I get it looked over by my mechanic? It sounds like a fairly simple task. From what I understand the only tool that I will be needing (that I don't have) is a good torque wrench. New head gaskets and I'm good right? Valve adjustment too:beerchug:? If I sound off please let me know and I will not even touch it. It will go strait to the mechanic.

Thanks
Lane

#19 ·
I wouldn't say they are reliable at all. At least when making them a drag bike.

#21 ·
True I tend to stay away from them and stick to 4 stroke. :rock:

#22 ·
The bike you are looking at probably has an 87mm overbore. 86mm is stock (that is 2 sizes over) The big thing is to take the magnito cover off and see if there is any up&down movement when you grab the flywheel. If there is play, the crank bearings may be bad, the the repair will be def. more expensive.

The 87' model year has a much larger intake, & has a potential for a little more top end power. The 88'~90' has a better overall power curve, with slightly less top end. The 87' is also a six head stud motor and may need attension if it has head gasket probs. (The others have 7 studs) There are fixes for everything wrong with these bikes. GO the HQ site to find all the details.

My LT500 is a Dr.Q duner with a Jerry hall pipe. It runs extremely well. THe power is fantastic in the dunes & totally uncompareable to the LTR. Plus the LT500 makes a nicer power curve than a built hi-HP banshee. A well built LT500 from one of the top builders will surprise a lot of bikes period. No, it will not out run a full tilt purpose built drag banshee(I'm talking 10+ mil with cheetah/cub cylinders & out frame pipes, with a drag only chassis), but will be a much nicer bike overall to ride.

Most zillas are thrashed and will need the correct TLC to get them up to par. But once you get there, they are awesome.

#24 ·
Hey boss I really appreciate the info. All info is appreciated from everyone!

The main reason that I am buying this zilla is because it has sentimental value for my wife. Otherwise I would probably be buying a banshee.

I think that I am looking a decent zilla so far. I will check the flywheel for play when I go back with my tax return cash. Also what should the compression be reading at minimum? I will take a compression gauge with me just to be sure.

My only question now is what kinda cash should I be willing to through at this guy?

Thanks
Lane

#23 ·
I had a Q motor back in the day, it was an '87 535 that was sent to Q to have the same porting and seals etc he uses when building the HRD motors. I also had an '88 Tudors stage II motor for that bike as well.

Zilla's don't make the best drag bikes, but they're fun to ride and they command alot of attention. I shouldn't have sold it, but I had 7 quads at the time so something had to give.

#25 ·
Cash in hand is a powerful weapon. Offer 1800.

#27 ·
Wait he's asking 2900?

#28 ·
Yep. It was originally posted at $2300 but when I went to look, I asked him what the lowest he would go was... After that he said he was firm at 2900?!?!? He said that $2300 was a misprint.

WTF right?

When I get my tax return I will send him a picture of $1800 with his name written on an envelope. Thats how I get alot of craigslist deals that people don't want to budge on. Let it sit for a week and it eats people alive! I just don't know where to end the money pile.

#29 ·
You can give it a shot but I personally think he won't do 1800. But doesn't hurt to try.

#31 ·
ya i wouldn't go over 1800 for it. They are nice heritage rides. I always preferred the 250R's back in that time frame but that is just me. I've got my ass handed to me by quite a few zilla's. Nice machine.

#32 · (Edited)
it totally depends on the condition. Thrashed with aftermarket plastics? OEM garaged for the last 20 years all original? Modified with all the latest set-ups? Real aftermarket suspension?

The range is $1000~$6000 depending on what was done by who. A nice zilla built by a no name builder is not worth a whole lot. A fully restored OEM build (Done correctly) could be worth up to $3500. An All original pristine bike could go between $2000~$5000+. There was a crate zilla just found that was going for $6500 & it was 100% perfect.

Most Thrashed zillas are less than $1000 up to $2000. Also what part of the country makes a big difference. On the west coast/California they are worth a lot more than anywhere else. mid-west & the south they are worthless. Def. a labour of love to build one & they are not particularly cheap to build. BUt they have a feel unlike any other quad.

Just last weekend I rode Dr. Q's personal trail bike which consisted of a $1200 craigslist bike, with just a few simple mods & his pipe. It pulled a verified 100mph up hill on pavement with a headwind. I rode it & was going 86mph & it had a lot of throttle left. That is real world faster than 99% of all other bikes. Just saying they can be very fast. His bike is sick fast with just a Dr. Q cut head, bored carb & pipe. Hard to believe but entirely true Seen it with my own eyes & That's not even his built stuff. Depending on the condition of the donor you could copy it for less than $1500 + the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.