Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Left   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Right
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View jman45489's Photo Gallery(0)
Rough idle wont stay running

Hello all, iv searched the site for a couple hours now and have had no luck on my problem. its an 08 model with full yosh exhaust cherry bomb and rekluse clutch. iv been through all sensors replaced stator with one off the shelf in the garage, cleaned injector, set tps, new spark plug, checked valves in middle of spec, and just havent been able to figure it out. im not sure what else to check. it runs pretty good just idles up and down for less than a min and than dies. the rekluse also seems to spin pretty free. only thing i still havent checked and shoulda done when checking valves was for cam seizure. but shouldnt be the case as oil is changed every 2 hours. bike did overheat awhile ago and blew the headgasket but all that has been fixed. any ideas? id greatly appriciate ya'lls help!
Sponsored Links
LTR450HQ.com is the premier Suzuki Sport Quad Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 AM

View ATP Racing Engines's Photo Gallery(0)
Does the quad run well under power while riding it? What camshafts?

"Better in honor than successful with cheats!"
Sophocles
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM

stock cams and seems to i dont notice anything funny
Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

View williams ATV performance's Photo Gallery(0)
Have you done a compression check? I had a bike in the shop about a month ago and when it heated up the piston would start to sezie in the cylinder just a thought of something to check.

Quote: Originally Posted by jman45489 View Post
Hello all, iv searched the site for a couple hours now and have had no luck on my problem. its an 08 model with full yosh exhaust cherry bomb and rekluse clutch. iv been through all sensors replaced stator with one off the shelf in the garage, cleaned injector, set tps, new spark plug, checked valves in middle of spec, and just havent been able to figure it out. im not sure what else to check. it runs pretty good just idles up and down for less than a min and than dies. the rekluse also seems to spin pretty free. only thing i still havent checked and shoulda done when checking valves was for cam seizure. but shouldnt be the case as oil is changed every 2 hours. bike did overheat awhile ago and blew the headgasket but all that has been fixed. any ideas? id greatly appriciate ya'lls help!

All the BS talk stops when the gate drops and nothing else matters then the best rise to the top and stay at the top!

Last edited by williams ATV performance; 07-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:26 PM

View AlbaNate's Photo Gallery(0)
Air leak or IAC issue? How far out is your screw?

Nate
Alba Racing
Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM

would it seize even when cold or first started its 90 degrees here but i mean it shouldnt do that till it get s up to temp right?

Nate are you talking about the idle screw?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM

View AlbaNate's Photo Gallery(0)
Yes, I am talking about the idle screw. It is an air bypass screw and can cause what you are describing. As far as seizure goes, cold seizure occurs with forged pistons due to the change in the rate at which the metal expands; that is why manufacturer's use cast pistons in production. Proper warm up of the cylinder and pistion is crucial.

Nate
Alba Racing
Old 07-26-2011, 05:34 PM

View ATP Racing Engines's Photo Gallery(0)
Ok, since you say that it runs well under power, then that rules out any seizing problems.

A few things to check,
take the throttle cable off, check the idle screw, make sure the quad will idle. Taking off the cable will rule out any interference and make sure that the blade is fully closed.

Next, take a look at the vacuum line between the map sensor and the T body. Make sure there is no damage to the line.

Do you have the lights hooked up to the quad? Are you getting any codes?

After you check those things, I recommend doing a leak down test. If you don't have a leak tester, some of the parts stores have loaners you can use. A leak down test will let you know if you are having a valve seal issue. This can most defiantly cause a problem at low RPM and or idle.

Keep us updated.

"Better in honor than successful with cheats!"
Sophocles
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

View williams ATV performance's Photo Gallery(0)
The bike I was talking about did the same exact thing. The bike would start up idle but did rev up and down then as you rode the bike the piston would expand faster than the cylinder causing it to seize to the cylinder walls and yes this was an oem piston. A simple compression check would let you see if you have an issue in the engine . When the tsp sensor goes over 5% open the bike will not start so I wouldn't focus on that first. From the details you have given me I would check out the topend . When you changed the head gasket did you inspect the cylinder to see if it was in specs?

All the BS talk stops when the gate drops and nothing else matters then the best rise to the top and stay at the top!

Last edited by williams ATV performance; 07-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View LTR450_#67's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via AIM to LTR450_#67
Does the quad make any abnormal sounds?

It doesn't matter if the piston is cast or forged it can be cold siezed.....seen it many times in snowmobiles.

'08 LTR450 BLACK SE kicker.....

'02 M3 Imola Red on Black

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain