Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Left   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Right
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View 1bad06ltr450's Photo Gallery(0)
Fresh top end rebuild. Ran for 5 min now wont start or run?

Hi guys, i just rebuilt the top end on my 06 ltr. Used a JE piston and rings, new gaskets, etc. I got the wheeler together and it started right up. I let it idle for a min or two, then idled it up and down the driveway. It ran fine for maybe 5 min then it just stalled out. I thought maybe it had bad gas since it has been sitting a month and a half. drained all the old gas and added new 93. It would start and stall within a few seconds. It did this a few times and now im getting nothing. It sounds like its out of time. Has alittle lope to it now when i crank it over, It also keeps blurping out of the air box. I checked the timing and it still seems to be right on. The valves are still also in spec. What the heck? Before it would crank real hard, to the piont where i had to put the charger on it, now it just spins over fairly easy when trying to start it. Am i overlooking something here? I cant believe there is something wrong with the piston allready. It only ran for maybe a total of 5 min. it is a 12:5-1 piston but alot of guys are using 93 without a problem. I also checked the plug. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
LTR450HQ.com is the premier Suzuki Sport Quad Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 PM

View jfaubus's Photo Gallery(0)
I would check the timing again just to make sure.

07 LTR White- PC III, Yoshi full RS-5, Dynojet Rev plug, Pro Design foam filter kit, DG baja swingarm skid, Pro Armor nerfs with heel guards, Holeshot MXR6'S all the way around, ITP T-9's all the way around, Powermadd handguards, Pro Taper countours, K&K park brake block off, UM pro SX bumper, WIX inline fuel filter, and Pro Taper pillow tops
Old 05-24-2010, 05:54 AM

Cam gear spun?

I double checked the timing again this am. The Gears are still lined up right where they should be with the T on the flywheel. BUT the cam lobes are suppose to be around 10 o clock and 2 o clock position. The exhaust cam is in the 10 position but the intake cam is in a 5 o clock position. At first i thought the cam chain jumped but the gears are still lined up and im still 15 pins on the chain. The lobes were in the 10 and 2 when i put it together so now what happend?? Did the cam gear spin on the cam? Anyone had this issue? I saw a post similar to this before but i never saw what the outcome was. Im thinking im going to get a new intake cam i guess.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

View CQR's Photo Gallery(1)
Sounds like the cam spun. Pop off the cam caps and see if the head is junk. Usually this happens from over torquing cam and the cam seizing in the journals.

Four (4) '06 LTR450's, '07 CRF250R, '09 CRF150RB

canyontackandfeed.webs.com
www.morrisoncarworks.com
www.sodalakestable.com
Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 AM

Omg. How would i be able to tell if the head is junk? Look for scoring where the cam rides? My damn torqe wench must not be acurate i guess.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

View NWI_#73's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via AIM to NWI_#73
Did you torque them to 7 ft-lbs?

07' LTR450 - White
51.7whp/34.7tq
11/23/07

2011 Sponsors: Moto-Xperts, Rath Racing, Fly, Quadtech, DWT, Gaerne Boot Co., Sunstar Sprockets, Smith Optics, Ssi Decals & Fox Shox

CRBM - Rath Bumper - 1st ever White junkie fibered gascap - QT beak - Cernics starter button - Gunnar Killswitch - Yosh throttlebody plug - Precision Stabilizer - MXP tuned rear shock - PC III - FUELATV intake - 13t CS Sprocket - Walsh e-brake blockoff - Junkie relocated dummy lights - Moose case saver - Quadtech MX low seat - ATP 12.5:1 piston - Hotcam intake cam - MXP P/P head - DWT rokout & G2 rims - Goldspeed SX fronts - Goldspeed MXR rears - RPM Dominator II Axle - Moto-Xperts Graphics - Houser +0 Stem - SSi Numberplates - Fox Evols Gen 2 - Houser Slicast A-arms - MXP exhaust - Fly Racing CR Hi bars - Rath Signature Series Nerf Bars

Follow my new Tech review blog MyiTechGadgets
Follow me on twitter @MyiTechGadgets
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM

i thought i did but i was using a older torque wrench so it probably isnt the most acurate. I guess i didnt realize how seriuos it was for them caps to be excact. I never had this issue before. Now i dont know what to do. It only ran for maybe 5 min but the way my luck has ran lately the head will be junk. I allready know i will need a cam. Is there any hope for fixing the head on my own?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Baracudaaa's Photo Gallery(0)
Dont feel bad, there are a bunch of us who did the same thing.

Bad part, get ready to drop about $700 on new cams, head work, and gaskets.

'06 LTR
Yoshi RS5/PIM--FUEL airbox--Kenda--Bling Star--Evol/Podium X--CCP Stabilizer--Houser+1--Tag 2s'--Streamline--HotCams--CP 13.1--Some cool stickers n' chit

D37 GP/AMA SoCal MX racer #Q3 Vet Expert 2011
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Got her going!!

Hey guys, just an update. I bought a new intake cam after my experience with overtightening the cam holders, and spining the gear on the intake cam. The exhaust cam was fine. Installed both cams, and torqued it down. It runs great. I have about 5 hr on it now and seems good to go. Just alittle incuregment for the guys out there with the same issue. You may get away without replacing the head. Allthogh i only ran mine for maybe 4 min idleing when the cam locked up. If you lock it up when your ripping on it, well that may not go so well.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:09 AM

View shrimp2's Photo Gallery(0)
i overturned my cam holders, bought new ones put it all back together and now the thing doesnt start and hardly wont hand turn over. my motor seems to be done /:

2006 ltr450
hmf full exhaust
13t front sprocket
velocity intake
dobeck tfi
um nerf bars
pro taper cr high big bars
20x10x8 7 haulers
alba bumper
ac grab bar
fuel atv graphics and seat cover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain