Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Left   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Right
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

View gforce15's Photo Gallery(0)
cam spins on shaft

i had bought this 06 ltr off a guy who had the stock intake cam gear spin on the shaft sold the bike cheap. look through the motor everything looked good went ahead and replaced the cylinder and and the intake cam for a hotcam. i just finished putting the bike together and had everything to spec with the repair manual and the motor turned over nice and freely from a socket on the crank. put everything on and went to fire it and it ran for a second and died no pop or anything now the starter wouldent turn the motor nore could i turn it by the crank. took the valve cover off and the the intake cam looks like it spoon on the shaft again brand new hotcam. the exahaust cam lines up but the markings on the intake cam are not even close is this a problem for others or what could be a cause to this.
Sponsored Links
LTR450HQ.com is the premier Suzuki Sport Quad Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View 720tobe's Photo Gallery(0)
probably the reason y the cam gear turned on the cam was the last owner tightend the cam caps to tight this is a very common problem you might of went back and put everything in specs but when the last owner tightned to tight the journals become egg shaped more then round.. there has been alot discussion if you can fix this prob with the head and caps you need to take the cam chain off putt your cams back in tighten them down to 7 ft lbs and see if you can turn the cams freely they should be easy to turn and make sure to use assemly lube.. If you cant then you need to determine if your prob is your head or cam caps you can do this by taking off the caps and holding pressure against the cams and see if you can turn them also do this on the cam caps i've done this myself so i know firsthand. also helps to have a buddy help... If the caps or head isnt bad you can have them polished out as i did. but if the scared or burnt you will have to replace the head and caps and now your cam the turned on the gear or you can send it somewhere to have it reset not sure where but they do reset the gears...

2006 ltr450 pc3, cherry bomb,two brothers full exhaust,hot cams stg 1 int and exh, fuel atv, intake,pro armor nerfs,lone star a arms +2 +1, aftermarket bumpers,+ 2 tag stem,pro tapers,bark busters,Hood, e brake delete,kenda tires all around,douglas rears

Newest to the collection 2006 yfz450
limited edition,,,alot of add ons..

2003 kawasaki Praire 650 all stock settin on 26" and itp pro loc ss wheels....

2005 Polaris Predator 500 bone stock....

****************2001 Raptor 720 stroker, 660 based Stolen************ June 2009 right out of my garage and about 8k worth of other shit but the idiots didnt touch any other quads*******************
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 PM

well ill give that a shot when i put the new hotcam in the cams turned over really nice and smooth thats why i dont get it but i well check the caps and head thank you for the advice
Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 PM

well i tried what you said and both cap and head are very tight around the intake cam the exhaust cam spins nicely. does this now mean the head is trashed or can it be machined?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM

View mcginnis_101's Photo Gallery(0)
I had the same problem stock intake cam locked up spun the gear on the cam (although sombody said on here that suzuki claims it takes 5 tons to spin one) if you believe that. Anyways mine is not scared very bad at all i would think a really good machine shop could fix it. But im just going to replace mine. You might see if Hotcam will warrant that cam if its brand new. Its worth the shot.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM

ya def worth a shot trying to see if you can get a replacement and ya i dont believe it takes that much to turn the gear but i dunnno maybe.... I know mine was torqued at about 10ft lb lol everybody makes mistakes anyways mine turned the gear no prob.. also ur head can be fixed depends on how bad it is its hard to tell without seeing it and to be honest it will be hard to tell in a pic but it wouldnt hurt if you have pics to post them... I had mine fixed and have ran my bike for sevearl hours without a single problem.. If you can find a good head that hasnt got valves or springs you might be able to pick one up cheaper then having yours fixed but make sure you get the caps to match the head as the cams wear them evenly on the head and caps....

2006 ltr450 pc3, cherry bomb,two brothers full exhaust,hot cams stg 1 int and exh, fuel atv, intake,pro armor nerfs,lone star a arms +2 +1, aftermarket bumpers,+ 2 tag stem,pro tapers,bark busters,Hood, e brake delete,kenda tires all around,douglas rears

****************2001 Raptor 720 stroker, 660 based Stolen************ June 2009 right out of my garage and about 8k worth of other shit but the idiots didnt touch any other quads*******************
Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM

also you have to make sure they turn good by hand not with the cam chain on with a ratchet on the crank as its alot easier to turn with the extra leverage of the ratchet if you cant turn the cams by hand do not start your bike or your asking for trouble again.....

Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 PM

did you have your head fixed by a local shop or send it off to someone
Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 PM

I actually had my buddy do it that does all my head work on my raptors he use to work at a machine shop and he owed me a fav...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain