Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Left   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum Header Right
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View phreak's Photo Gallery(0)
Stuck in 2nd gear

was at the track today and my quad wouldn't shift out of second gear. as i limped back to my truck, for about 10 - 20 seconds, i could hear a metal grinding/scraping sound and then it went away. seemed to drive fine other than the brief noise. it also rolled fine with the clutch pulled.

so i loaded up and drove home. as i was about to unload it, i tried the shifter again for the hell of it and i was able to get it back into neutral. after i washed it, i took a slow spin down the street. i was able to shift into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd without a problem.

any ideas what would have caused this or what will need to be replaced? i'm going to drain the oil probably tomorrow or tuesday to see if there are any metal shards in the oil.

wonder if i can still buy an extended warranty?

08 LTR LE

CRBM / lid removed
Dasa
LSR DC-Pro / Motowoz
Walsh linkage / Motowoz
Axcalibar Pro axle
Pro Taper ATV mid bend / hand guards
+2 Houser stem
Precision stabilizer / Shock & Vibe
Pro Armor kill switch
Rath nerfs / bumper
DWT G2 / Dunlop Quadmax / Razr Cross

Last edited by phreak; 07-26-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
LTR450HQ.com is the premier Suzuki Sport Quad Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View LTR450_#67's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via AIM to LTR450_#67
Seeing that you have a '08....I'm going to guess that your third gear is starting to take a shit and the pieces of the gears are interfere-ing with your shifting action...... thats what I think.....your oil filter will tell the story for sure.....if you have some metal debri in it you might as well order new oil pumps.....don't even bother with the '09 updated gears....I used them for maybe 10hrs and they took a shit. Get the billet gears from ATP. They are pricey but not riding sucks....my LTR has been down since mid June cause of this problem.....I still love the machine except for that.

'08 LTR450 BLACK SE kicker.....

'02 M3 Imola Red on Black
Old 07-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

View 07LTQRacer's Photo Gallery(0)
If it is the 3rd gear there may not be any metal in the filter, at least in my 07 there was not. I found a tooth in my drain hole that I fished out with a magnet.

Does it make the characteristic "loose chain" noise that everyone describes when this happens?? As far as I know everyone who has had 3rd gear issues has had this noise. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I had the noise an my 3rd was missing 3 teeth.

Also its not convenient, but if you pull the top end you can see the gears looking down into the crank case, this is just another verification point before the cases get split
Old 07-29-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by 07LTQRacer View Post
Does it make the characteristic "loose chain" noise that everyone describes when this happens?? As far as I know everyone who has had 3rd gear issues has had this noise. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I had the noise an my 3rd was missing 3 teeth.
no noise except for the metal scraping sound i heard for 10 seconds or so. i did experience a couple false neutrals that day, as well.

i think i might pull the clutch cover just to see if maybe its something in there. i did have the dealer install the shift pin relocator when i brought it in for warranty work last year. maybe something came loose inside. (wishful thinking)

pulling the motor apart and splitting the case is not something i feel too comfortable doing. how hard of a job is it?

anyone have a rough estimate as to what it would cost to have a shop do it? obviously hourly rates vary from location to location, i just would like to get an idea as to what this will cost me.

08 LTR LE

CRBM / lid removed
Dasa
LSR DC-Pro / Motowoz
Walsh linkage / Motowoz
Axcalibar Pro axle
+2 Houser stem
Pro Armor kill switch
Rath nerfs / bumper
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM

View ATP Racing Engines's Photo Gallery(0)
Check the retaining clip on the shift shaft just behind the shifter. Make sure that it has not moved from it seated position. If it has, you will be able to move the shift shaft from left to right inside the engine.

Mike

"Better in honor than successful with cheats!"
Sophocles
Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by ATP Racing Engines View Post
Check the retaining clip on the shift shaft just behind the shifter. Make sure that it has not moved from it seated position. If it has, you will be able to move the shift shaft from left to right inside the engine.

Mike

you f-ing rock!!!

i never checked back on this thread until yesterday and saw your post. went home and i was able to slide the shifter left to right AND it was able to change gears.

i'm gonna check the retaining clip later this week. i knew i should have just done it earlier.

thanks, mike.

08 LTR LE

CRBM / lid removed
Dasa
LSR DC-Pro / Motowoz
Walsh linkage / Motowoz
Axcalibar Pro axle
+2 Houser stem
Pro Armor kill switch
Rath nerfs / bumper

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com > LTR450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain